October 01, 2010

Don't Rain On My Parade




Well, ....... for all of you wondering how I did in that singing thing..... (you know, the Pecan Festival that I had to sing for?)
Well, it was cancelled last Saturday because of torrential rain.
I was ALL set, ......
I had calmed my jittery nerves ...... (yeah, right!)
But I was ready.
Then it had to rain on my parade.
By mid-day, the rain had stopped. And although the sky was overcast - the day was nice.
All day long, I kept looking at the clock thinking, "I would have been performing in ONE hour."
Or "Right now, I would be performing."
Or "You know,...... by this time - I would have been DONE!"
But no........., fate would not have it.
It seems I would have to stress and freak out ALL OVER AGAIN when this thing was rescheduled.

Well, it is rescheduled.
It is tomorrow night.
And NOW......... the performance will be at the old local theater downtown.
So, instead of me singing while families would have been casually sitting on the grass while eating a picnic lunch and little Jimmy would have been scampering around and chasing butterflies......... NOW........ I will be singing on a stage while the audience sits quietly with their attentive eyes staring up at me. I will be bathed in a stark spotlight. And I will be freaking!!
No need to panic at all. No, no, no........ there is absolutely no need.........

AND instead of singing 1 song (which took an act of GOD for me to find, rehearse and feel semi-comfortable with) we all now have to sing 3 songs. Oh! The horror of it all........

Everytime I practice my songs - my heart beats so violently - I feel like it will leap out of my throat and choke me. No matter what I do - no matter what I tell myself - I CANNOT calm my crazy, beating heart.

The woman in charge called last night. She wanted the names of my THREE songs. I asked her when I was going on. She told me that in my category (the older and decrepit category) I was last.
Wonderful. So I get to wait while 3 finalists in 3 categories sing.
And then last (but certainly not least......) comes me.
Oh no. There should be NO problems with me waiting for 8 others to sing.
When I finally stagger onto that stage...... I will be a drooling, shaking, freakin' mess!

I am SO not looking forward to this.
If it had not rained - this would have been over and DONE a week ago!!!!

I normally love rain.
Today........ I am still holding a grudge.

1 comment:

Cathy Brooksby said...

You will do wonderfully. Just think of it as a road show. Pretend the girls are behind you being your back up dancers. :)