October 09, 2010

The Trauma of Tiaras



Today we went to a pageant with Haven. Do not worry. I am NOT getting Haven into pageants. This is NOT what is happening.
Just so you know.
I took her because there was a talent portion of the pageant and she wanted to sing.
Haven loves to sing - and she will sing anywhere.
She sang, "You Belong With Me' by Taylor Swift.

She did not win. At least not the talent portion.
The "Talent Portion" of Haven's age group was won by a little girl won who has been in pageants "since she was 3." I know this because her mother proudly boasted to me.
I wanted to slap this mother. This stupid, materialistic lady.
Why these women need their little girls to win stupid pageants amazes me.
Like they will somehow be loved and glorified by these wins? Did they not have ANY crumb of self esteem when they were young. Very sad....... very sad indeed.

And the little girl who won had elaborate outfits with hugely expensive shoes, boots or a hat for EACH new section of the pageant.
I know, I know ........ this is how it's been done forever - but it does not make it right.
It's sick and wrong and shouldn't be allowed to happen.

This little girl sang "I Wanna Be A Cowboy Sweetheart." And dressed in a little cowgirl outfit (with a hat and everything) - she TOTALLY sang off tune through the whole song.
And please know that I am not just saying that because she was competing against Haven.
Of course I am biased....... BUT she was off tune. I shot video of her performing to show Geoff and London back home - I will pop it onto this blog later and let YOU decide. For the entire melody of the song, she was off tune - BUT she yodeled the choruses and was on tune.
That I cannot understand or explain.
BUT she was loud, (she projected well) and she she moved around like a real little performer. Haven stood like a normal little girl who was singing in front of a crowd (and was a bit shy.)
Oh well, I'd rather have that then an Eloise prancing into the living room to perform for every visitor.
Wait! I already have that with London anyway. And when London is like that - then I have that with Haven too.

When they announced the winners, this little girl was sweeping the tiaras in all the categories.
Haven knew it too. I watched Haven slowly shrink lower and lower in her chair and her head was dropped defeated down to her chest. Then she began wiping her eyes.
I creeped over to Haven and tried to cheer her up.
I was telling her "it was ok and not to cry" - when they suddenly announced Haven's name.
We stood up in surprise and Haven darted around me and skipped to the stage. I aimed the video camera and caught her quick moment - where it would be saved for time and all eternity for her to watch.
I was so happy for Haven!! By this point, I would have paid $1000.00 for any type of win in the pageant and a cheap dollar store tiara. You would have too if you'd seen Haven's crestfallen little face.
Actually, Haven received her win (and tiara) for best in the 'Beauty' category for her age group. I wanted to hug the woman responsible for Haven winning (AND was feeling very good about the win being the Beauty category) .... I always knew my girls took after their Mama.

So we now have a newly crowned princess skipping around the house and cradling her sparkly tiara.
Haven is so happy and proud. And I am proud of her.
I have included the video of her singing in this blog.
And in MY mind, Haven was the best singer there.
Look out little yodeling cowgirl.
Someday you will be an average adult - washed up yet conceited with big hair, a year-round, fake tan and you will need constant praise and affirmation to get you through the day.
Haven on the other hand - will be making TONS of money - singing, traveling, shooting music videos and taking care of her Mama.
And taking care of Mama is all that really matters. Hmmmmmmm?












No comments: