October 16, 2010

October Indian Summer

Yes, it is October Indian Summer here in Texas.
I love Indian Summer and I love October - so I will group them together and give them a new name. 'October Indian Summer.'

And four years ago, my dad died on a beautiful, crisp October day.
It was glorious Indian Summer and I will always remember that day.
Bright, warm sun - mixed with a cool breeze blew crispy leaves all over the yard.
I love to sit and watch the leaves blow around - dancing around in circles.
I'm glad I have that memory when I think of my dad.
It makes me smile and actually take the time to sit and enjoy the day.
To enjoy the moment and look back to remember my father.
He was such a comforting presence in my life.

I remember that day like it was yesterday.
Afterwards, I immediately wrote a poem because I felt him so close and so strong inside me.
I wanted to capture that feeling.
And when I read my poem, it takes me back so vividly.
It feels as if four years hasn't even gone by.

I love you dad. Watching movies is not the same without you.
I wish so bad I could call you up and talk to you about current great movies or even better - go to one with you.

I hope my dad is sitting somewhere quiet, surrounded by all the dogs he's ever loved and looking down on me and smiling.
I miss you dad.
I miss your smile, your laugh and your humor.

October 17, 2006

It was October.

The sun warm

the sky blue

and the breeze

cool and crisp

flowed through open windows

and into my house.


Although ready for my mother’s call -

I wasn’t.

My dad was gone.


His slow breathing

simply evaporated

like faint morning mist.

Swept up in the wind

he disappeared into the clouds.


I stumbled

needing to hear his favorite songs.

Lost in the volume

I watched my three year old

dance, twirl and laugh to the music.


I knew he was with me.

I felt him with every emotion.

Every tear

released memories

and slid down my face.

Riding free from pain

on fresh new wings

my father breathed with the wind

and wrapped himself around me.


Swallowing sorrow

I smiled,

as my daughter danced

unknowingly

in the arms of her grandfather.


No comments: