October 31, 2008

Laying Low....

I haven't written for awhile,.... kinda been lying around recuperating from my 2nd surgery following a double mastectomy.... but feeling much perkier now! I wanted to share a story that affected me and my youngest daughter a few years ago. Most of the time, I think we believe our children learn from us, as parents,.... but many times, parents can learn so much from our children.
During my experience with breast cancer, my daughters have learned quite a bit. They have not only learned what a woman goes through physically with surgery, but what a woman goes through emotionally as well. Although this came as an unexpected and emotional speed bump in my life- as a family, we have realized there is so much potential for analyzing life in general and to be so thankful for what we still have.
When you are diagnosed with cancer, you have to stop and think- "What is more important? Breasts? Or Breath?" When I was faced with this decision earlier this year in February, I felt very confident about my decision. Scared to death, but confident. And everyday, when I look at myself in the mirror, then look around at my life, and at my children and husband,... I know that I chose breath. Cancer no longer owns me. I faced cancer head on, hauled my foot back and kicked it hard in the butt! And now, I own breath! This concept is something I know I have taught my two daughters,... something they will always remember.
The following post explains how my youngest daughter once taught me. Looking back now, perhaps this is the reason I was able to look cancer in the eye and conquer it so completely,....

No comments: